Actions you can take today to ensure President-elect Joe Biden & Congress enact democracy reform!
Fix Democracy First has teamed up with Declaration for American Democracy to pass the For the People Act (H.R.1). In response to an unprecedented threat to our elections this year, states across the country broke down barriers to voting by creating and expanding vote-by-mail programs and early voting. But despite these efforts, so much more is needed to fix our broken democracy, and to transform it into one that is truly representative and responsive to the American people.
That’s why President-Elect Biden must urge Congress to pass the For the People Act (H.R.1) as a first priority in his administration.
It’s a massive overhaul of voting, money-in-politics, and ethics laws — all to make our democracy more inclusive. Right now, the dominance of big money in politics, political gerrymandering and rampant corruption is eroding our democratic norms and boosting the voices of corporations and wealthy donors over the American people.
The For the People Act (HR 1) is a once-in-a-generation package of proven reforms that would:
- Expand and protect voting rights and access to the ballot;
- Put ordinary Americans ahead of Big Money donors;
- End gerrymandering so that electoral districts are fairly drawn;
- Clean up government and hold elected officials to the highest ethical standards.
- Download the full list of reforms here.
The American people are tired of a government that serves only the wealthy and corporate interests. We demand a democracy that works for all of us.
What can you do today?
- Add your name to the Petition today – Tell Congress to pass the For the People Act as a first order of business in the new administration.
- Write and submit Letters to the Editor in support of For the People Act – Declaration for Democracy has an excellent tool that makes it easy.
- Sign up for a virtual lobby visit with your members of Congress – During this lame duck session our representatives must know the importance of prioritizing For the People Act in the 117th Congress, or if appropriate, thanking them for their past support!
- Call Congress – National Call Number: 1-888-246-5947. You will hear a brief recording with talking points and are automatically connected to your Representative in Congress.
Together, we can build the support we need to build a democracy that truly represents the American people.
Thank you for supporting democracy!